Thursday 29 December 2011

Is Debby Happy?

Namaste

I am always left confused after seeing Debby. Let me preface this by saying that she is a Jehovah's Witness and due to her influence I came very, very close to becoming a Witness myself. Clearly I didn't - I have embraced Sanantana Dharma and I'm even changing my name so that says something for the pull Shiva and Shakti hold over me.

But there is something about Debby... I'm not sure what it is but she is such a beautiful woman. Every time I see her I am filled with joy. This woman radiates love and it's nothing so mundane as earthly love. If she were Hindu I would marvel at her bhakti(1) and even though she isn't and would have no idea what bhakti is (she might even see it as Satan-inspired) she is clearly an exemplary example.

Debby was my bible study tutor for about 3 years. As I've said, she's an amazing woman, and her love for God is simply awe inspiring but while she is generally happy there is an undercurrent of sadness that runs through it and is revealed when she talks about the current world. Jehovah's Witnesses, you see, deeply believe that we are in the end times and that everything points towards looming disaster. Just imagine if she were an ardent devotee of Krishna or Shakti or Shiva. Just imagine the positivity that this woman would radiate. She lights up a room as it is but she would blind those around her if she were a follower of Brahman because she would not have to mourn for anyone. There wouldn't be anyone to save (but she could guide them on the path to enlightenment!), there would be no grief because she would know - if her bhakti found its outlet in Krishna, Shiva or Shakti - that the jiva is eternal and it is not going to die after this life but go forward, continually evolving until achieving moksha.

It deeply saddens me that she is so sad, underneath it all. But she has found God in her current life and while I don't believe the path she walks will take her to heaven (or hell), perhaps in her next life she will be born into a more appropriate setting where her love for God can truly flourish.

Om Aim Hrim Klim Chamundayai Vicche Namaha
 Chhaya

(1: Bhakti)


Shiva and Parvati
Radhakrishna (Radha on the left, Krishna on the right)
Mahadevi (from left to right - Laksmi, Tripurasundari, Saraswati)

0 comments:

Post a Comment