Thursday 5 January 2012

Is the Gita Sacred?

Namaste

Is the Gita Sacred? Yes and no. It depends on which Gita you mean, I suppose. As a Shakta/Saiva Hindu the Bhagavad Gita means very little me. I have never felt any connection to Krishna, who is the form of God in the B. Gita's discourse. I did try to cultivate a loving relationship with Him for a time but it never went anywhere and so I ignored the Hare Krishnas and their 'you're worshipping a demi god!' and went back to worshipping Shiva.

Now while the Bhagavad Gita holds no specific sanctity the Devi Gita is a whole 'nother kettle of fish - as is the Shiva Gita (I will read it one day, I swear). In the first, the Devi Gita, Maha Devi expounds her worship and how to attain liberation to Himavat - the mountain - who has propitiated her to be born into his family as his and his wife's daughter. Much the same thing occurs in the Shiva Gita with Shiva expounding his worship to Shri Rama who was a devout devotee of his.

I have a copy of the Devi Gita (I even discovered I have a copy of the Devi Bhagavatam, I was very surprised) that was sent to me by a Shakta priest (who can be contacted at dankonnor@gmail.com)) and it is wonderful. The way Devi speaks the words drip with lover and I am sure that the same can be said of the Shiva Gita.

I have never felt close to Krishna and for the longest time I thought I was being a bad devotee because I didn't find the Bhagavad Gita sacred. It was a weight off my shoulders to discover that it is only really sacred to Vaishnavas (devotees of Visnu) and Smartas (non-sectarian sect formed by the great Adi Shankara in an effort to defeat sectarian violence). So if you don't feel any connection to the Bhagavad Gita don't fret. You're not being a bad devotee, you're simply following you're own path.

And don't feel bad if you're not called to Krishna either. Simply because Vaishnavism is the largest of the religions which fall under the umbrella of Hinduism does not necessarily mean it's right for everyone. Some people are called towards Krishna and others to Kali, some are called to Visnu and others to Shiva. God takes so many different forms because each person perceives God differently.

On Aim Hrim Klim Chamundayai Vicche Namaha
Chhaya

2 comments:

  1. That's why I find Hinduism amazing. So many gods there and you have your own personal god, ither male or female. The teachings are the same and so are the message! I don't like religions or cults cause they stop you from thinking. Was thinking about hare krishna's but I don't agree with a few things they teach. Just seems like my understanding is diffrnt from there's.

    I never knew there's a shiva Gita O_o? What is that about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TheDarkNation From what I'm aware the Shiva Gita (Gita translates as 'song' so it means the song of Shiva) basically expounds Shiva's correct worship.

    ReplyDelete