Sunday 15 January 2012

Maha Shivaratri 2012

Namaste

Maha Shivaratri - the great night of Shiva - is coming up soon. A little over a month away is a night of celebrations spent worshipping Lord Shiva. Many people keep an overnight vigil on Maha Shivaratri to honour Shiva and it is believed that such a vigil allows you to accrue great spiritual merit. One who is a sincere worshipper of Shiva and hopes to gain his attention will perform the vigil ot of love and adoration. Others perform it in order to have their requests granted.

As for me, I keep the Maha Shivaratri vigil because it was Shiva who first drew me to Sanatana Dharma. As a devotee of Shiva and Shakti I enjoy Maha Shivaratri because I can worship both at the same time. On this night one pours water and other substances over the Lingam (a physical representation of Shiva often said to represent his phallus) which rises out of the Yoni (the yoni is a representation of Shakti, often said to be her generative organs as well), which is a form of worship. By offering water and other cooling substances to the Lingam we are helping to cool Shiva who is always meditating and therefore accruing great heat. By cooling his Linga we prevent him from burning the world with his heat.

I could say more but I don't really know what to say. So I'll leave it at that.

Om Aim Hrim Klim Chamundayai Vicche Namaha
Chhaya

0 comments:

Post a Comment